Senior Backend Engineer
Freckle’s mission is to ensure every child get a world class education. Today, we reach nearly 10 million students across 45% of American schools. We work with hundreds of thousands of teachers across the world to help them reach all of their students at their levels, so every student grows. We also help them engage their students with relevant, interesting, and effective curriculum.
Teachers all around the world continue to face the same problem they have for a century: they have 30+ students in their class of varying ability who all learn at their own pace, and no real way to reach them all. This is the problem Freckle solves: we make software and content that makes it easy for teachers to reach all their students at their level without spending all their time making content or grading.
In a Freckle classroom, teachers focus on helping individual and small groups of students succeed rather than spending their time making and grading worksheets.
Freckle is a Series A funded team of 40, and is well on its way to profitability.
- Architect, design and develop new web applications, APIs, services, tools and distributed systems for the Freckle ecosystem in Haskell, PostgreSQL, and many others. You will be primarily focused on the backend of Freckle's SaaS products
- Mentor and support more junior developers in the organization
- Create, improve and refine workflows and processes for delivering quality software on time and with carefully calculated debt
- Work closely with Freckle educators, product managers, customer support representatives and account executives to help the business move fast and efficiently through relentless automation.
How you will do this
- You’re part of an agile, multidisciplinary team. You bring your own unique skill set to the table and collaborate with others to accomplish your team’s goals.
- You prioritize your work with the team and its product owner, weighing both the business and technical value of each task.
- You experiment, test, try, fail and learn all the time
- You don’t do things just because they were always done that way, you bring your experience and expertise with you and help the team make the best decisions
We’re an agile and lean small team of engineers, teachers and product people working on solving important problems in education. We hyper-focus on speed, communication and prioritizing what matters to our millions of users.
- You’re smart and can find a way to show us.
- You have a track record of 5+ years of working in, or leading, teams that rapidly ship high quality web-based software that provides great value to users. Having done this at a startup a plus.
- You're awesome at a Functional Programming language: Haskell / Scala / Clojure / Erlang etc
- You live and breathe APIs, you have great taste in API design
- You have a strong understanding of distributed systems and networking fundamentals
- You have exceptional emotional intelligence and people skills
- You are organized and meticulous, but still able to focus on the big picture of the product
- You have a ton of startup hustle: we're a fast-growing, VC-backed, Silicon Valley tech company that works hard to achieve the greatest impact we can.
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision
- Incredible opportunity to grow, learn and build lifetime bonds with other passionate people who share your values
- Food, catered lunch & dinner 4 days a week + snacks on snacks
- Room for you to do things your way at our downtown San Francisco location right by the Montgomery Station BART, or you can work remotely from anywhere in the US, if that’s how you roll
- $1000 annually to spend on professional development and learning
- Awesome monthly team events + smaller get-togethers (board game nights, trivia, etc)
Freckle is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.